Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wednesday Stamper - Gesso

I almost didn't do Wednesday Stamper today, even though it's one of my favorite challenges. And, I love gesso! What's wrong with me? Sometimes the muse just flees......

I decided I would just throw something together without thinking. I grabbed an old French cookbook page thinking I'd do some kind of French Country thing w/black gesso and a chicken. Whatever. Just do something! I had a piece of tagboard that I thought, huh, glue it on that I guess. I had some acrylics sitting out so I grabbed those and did a wash. Hmm....I'm liking it now. Grabbed the closest stamp - a flourish by Tim Holtz - and stamped part of it using black gesso. Used the Painted Mesh technique from Technique Junkies to cover it more.

Ahhhhh...now what? Photo stamp? Collage image? How about some Grungeboard? Paint it with the black gesso. Oh yes, that's it, coming together now. A few words, more Grungeboard letters, stitching to tie it all together. Done. And I'm glad I did it too. Sometimes you just have to slap your muse around a little. ;-)

29 comments:

  1. This looks awesome with the black gesso!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this is just perfect.
    Love the style. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love black gesso! Slap that muse around *hee hee*.

    I "threw" a couple of pieces together myself. If you get a chance, come take a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your muse did great :) I get the best results when I don't really plan a piece. What you have created is so rich looking, really fantastic, very glad you played along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Shelly. Apparently you have more control with your muse than I do! This turned out really great and so far is the only one that I have seen to use the black gesso.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to your process :) just wing it! I'll have to look for black gesso - cool technique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I love this! I have been looking for black gesso earlier today. No luck so far. Seeing your card makes me convinced to search further:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous! love the black gesso.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is FABULOUS! I'm so glad you skapped your muse around because she really same through for you with this piece! I've never used black gesso before. Seeing your piece makes me want to run to get some!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My muse needs some knocking around, also! I can't seem to accomplish a dang thing today! Love your use of black gesso...very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cool. Have to get me some black gesso. Thanks for taking us through the process. Hmm, slapping the muse around, sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this is so beautiful. I love the black gesso. I'm gonna have to go and buy me some. I'm glad you made yourself do it. Very inspirational!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I';m glad you threw it together. It is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. fabulous piece!! love the black gesso!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is really nice. Haven't tried the black yet. I love the effect you achieved with it.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marvelous...I didn't know gesso came in black! Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful this card with his red colors.
    love the different elements

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful! i definitely have to put black gesso on my to-buy-list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love it when you throw a few pieces together :) fabulous atc!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I played with black gesso last night, but still have some distance to go! lol Great results, Shelly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic card. Just following your impulses often results in the most amazing pieces.
    I always forget about black gesso . . . I need to pull mine out one day soon.
    :-)
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been playing with black gesso this week, but nothing nearly as fabulous as this piece. Gorgeous work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!