Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chunky Halloween ATCs for SSSS Challenge























I am generally not a big ATC fan, but when I saw all the fantastic inspiration pieces done by the Simon Says Stamp and Show DT, I had to give it a go!



























I decided to make a set chunky ATCs for Halloween decorating. I love the sturdiness of them and I will actually use them instead of sticking them in a drawer. I'm proud to say I even cut the wood blocks myself - and still have all my fingers!

I just bought a pad of the new Core'dinations Kraft-Core cardstock and couldn't wait to use it. I am seriously in love with this stuff!! I love the craft core...there is just something so subtle about it - really great for a vintage look. On this block, the sides are covered with black and the front with orange that's been embossed with the Tim Holtz Regal Flourishes Texture Fade. I adhered all the paper using Claudine Hellmuth's Studio Matte Medium (works great!), and then sanded the edges with my Idea-ology Sanding Grip. This block's rosette is embellished with an Idea-ology Memo Pin that holds a stamped bat from Tim Holtz's new Mini Halloween 2 rubber stamp collection. It's hard to see, but I covered it with Glossy Accents to give it a little dimension.

The rosettes for each block were made using Idea-ology Kraft Resist paper and the Mini Rosette Die from Sizzix (I used the larger of the two rosettes). I sponged the edges with Black Soot Distress ink and then ran a line of Black Soot Distress Stickles around each one. 'Boo' is spelled out using letters from Alphabet Soup Grungeboard letters. Each one was sponged with Black Soot Distress ink and covered with a layer of Black Soot Distress Stickles. I stamped the spider (also from the Halloween Mini 2 set) on the center block's medallion.

The inspiration for these actually came from a Halloween subway sign I'd seen on Pinterest. I was like, man...I wish I had a stamp that looks like that. Then, I was like - duh! I DO! I stamped the background stamp from Tim Holtz's Halloween Sillouettes collection on white cardstock using Distress Embossing Ink and embossed using Ranger's Clear embossing powder. I considered brayering over it with black ink, or painting it with a black Dabber, but I decided to try my new Black Soot Distress Stain instead. SO cool!! It gave it just the look I was going for. After wiping the excess off of the embossed area, I ironed the whole thing, removing the embossing (faux batik technique).



























Oh, and the little skeleton on the left is also from Tim's Mini Halloween 2 collection - I thought he looked so cute! Also, the ribbon on the center block was dyed using Spiced Marmalade Distress Stain. Is it just me, or have the stains been an absolute godsend? I love them so much!

All of the products I used can be purchased at Inspiration Emporium. If you use my code - stamptramp - you'll receive 10% off your order! Also, be sure and enter the monthly challenge over at the Inspiration Journal blog - the winner will receive $50 Inspiration bucks!

34 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Love the chunky ATC's and they are perfect halloween decor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Halloween chunky ATC's, love the rosettes and the techniques you used. Love love the paper, I need some LOL. These will be great decorations for Halloween. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!!! I might just have to use one of these for my neighbor. I just used your Faux Enamel Tag tech on my chunky ATC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now those are some fabulous ATC's and perfect Halloween decorations! Love all the details and such a great design! This girl will not be cutting an chucky ATC's! Oh and the wands are pretty amazing also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow am so impressed with your cutting of the wood blocks, cudos to you indeed. Great set of chunky ATC's and love the design. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great, was trying to come up with something new for BOO! This is just what I need, thanks, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic set of chunky ATC's, Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are perfect Halloween decor! Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I just LOVE these! Great Halloween decor!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness!!! These are fantastic! I love the vintage feel to them!! Love all the elements you used and the papers...too cute! Thanks for sharing these darling Halloween ATCs with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow Shelly your chunky´s rock.
    Stunnning boo design. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Craft core is yet to land in South Africa...can't wait till it does though, this looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great, not sure I will brave the woodcutting but they are fab! Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore these chunky ATC's. I don't have any wood or a saw to cut it, let alone my fingers. Good on you. Great designs and love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for the details, let alone sharing your incredible art! Love you in my emailbox!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are fantastic Shelly! I love how you used the rosettes and the Kraft Core'dinations...going to have to grab some of that paper in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I love this little soiree! Your chunky ATC's are fabulous! Thanks for joining the challenge at Simon Says Stamp & Show.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are wonderful! Love the colors and the Vintage feel.I have some of these blocks,I will have to do some!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely FABULOUS! I'm not an ATC girl either but I can do this. :-) Thanks for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are amazing!! I just love the chunky-ness of these ATCs...and the Boo is just perfect. I love all the grunginess of the CORE paper. They look really vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Way Cool Shelly! Totally love the chunkies, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous, Shelly! Love all the texture and your rosettes are just awesome... love the way you've edged them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are so cool! I am inspired to try to make something similar if I can ever find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That skeleton is awesome and a hit. Beautiful and fun work. That is some of the coolest Halloween stuff ever!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome artwork, Shelly! Love all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a grat trio of chunky ATC's !!

    ReplyDelete
  27. these look awesome! great home deco for hallowe'en! two minutes ago i wanted to make a christmas tag, now i'm totally in to hallowe'en!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love these - they are most definitely keepers! Orange never looked so good...Fabulously bold and chunky and full of fun Halloween character! Thanks for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, I just love your chunky Halloween ATCs! They are all fabulous. Sensational work with the new Mini Halloween 2 set! What a fun home decoration project! Terrific take on the ATC challenge. So happy you joined in the fin with us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love what you've done! And you're so right, these will be used! Might give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations,these chunky pieces are so yummy....love how they stand on their own....need to give it a try...

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just added this website to my rss reader, great stuff. Can not get enough!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I appreciate your comments so much!